Monday, December 3, 2007

Next Gen - is it worth it?



We've got all the last generation of consoles - PS2, Xbox and Gamecube.

We've got the Wii from the current generation but listen to any "serious" gamer and they will tell you that the Wii isn't really "next gen" like the PS3 and some will even say the Xbox 360 isn't "next gen". There is a lot of bull floating around on this topic. There are no rules about what is and isn't "next gen", really there aren't. So PS3 and Xbox360 owners get a grip.

Personally only a few games on the 360 and PS3 have looked vaguely worth playing. Recently I have liked the look of Assassin's Creed and Mass Effect so using that excuse I let slip to the sprogs that I was considering a 360 as those games and perhaps Halo 3 had me tempted.

I conducted a little experiment, I borrowed a 360 from a friend and plugged it in and waited for the reaction. I also borrowed a pile of games with it.

Let the comments begin:

"Crikey, what's that noise." (360 switched on).

"Look at that brick" (360 power supply is a tad chunky)

"All consoles should have wireless controllers" (that was me!)

"Is this what next gen is about then, just some prettier graphics"

"The games are slightly sharper but the games are still much the same"

"Put another title on...... there's nothing I want to play, let's unplug it and plug the Wii back into the tv" (followed by Avatar the Burning Earth and an Eyetoy session on PS2)

So, the jury in our household is firmly against "next gen". I have an acceptable PC so I'm happy to play Gears of War or Lost Planet on that. Assassin's Creed is out on PC next year (it was delayed) and there is a strong rumour that Mass Effect will be on PC next year. Halo and Halo 2 made it to PC and even Microsoft's effort to force Halo 2 gamers to buy Vista (what a joke) was bypassed by hackers so Halo 2 plays on XP machines fine.

No point in Next Gen. Actually decided to sell the Xbox 1 as it's media playing duties have been distgributed elsewhere. The Cube is redundant as the Wiii plays Cube games.

We're quite happy with a Wii, a PS2 and a decent PC for gaming, thank you very much.

No comments: