Wednesday, October 29, 2008



I was playing with some systems I am selling and tried to install OSX on them. One system was my old Amithlon box which also happened to be suitable for OSX. This one took a ton of playing with settings and distros. Installing OSX is much harder on AMD based machines. There are different kernels to be used and there are drivers (known as kexts or "kernel extentions") to be installed for many parts of the system.

Anyway, just for anyone googling away here goes

Asus A8N-SLI SE motherboard with Athlon 3500+ and NVidia 7600GT graphics - I had to use Kalyway 10.5.2, with the 9.2 ToH kernel, Nvidia Titan kext, Nvidia SATA and Forcedeth (LAN) kexts, 1052 Kext Test 1. Everything works fine including sound, lan and graphics.

I also installed my Shuttle K45 KPC, again Kalyway 10.5.2 worked best, with default options pretty much (from memory). I tried iAtkos 4i but I think it wasn't so smooth. I got everything again 100% working.

My MSI Wind (Advent 4211) works fine with MSIwindOSx86 distro - I think I have detailed that before. Recently I upgraded the Ram and the WiFi card to a Dell 1490 as that is fully OSX compatible.

Next is to try my main machines (Intel P35 based mobos) - they should be a doddle compared to the other machines. I may try a new procedure based on Boot-132 which boots a retail Apple Leopard install DVD.

Here's THE site for all this sort of thing - OSx86 Project

No comments: