Monday, February 23, 2009

Lord of the Boxes - The Fellowship of the Linkstation


I struggled for a title for this entry which is also rather overdue - I hadn't done any entry this year!!

Should it be Star Wars or Lord of the Rings themed? Blog Wars or Lord of the Boxes? Return of the Linkstation, The Linkstation Strikes Back, A New Linkstation or The Fellowship of the Linkstation, The Two Boxes, Return of the Linkstation. Ah, who cares.

I have a new Linkstation (again) - this must be my fourth Linkstation Live. They are so hackable. I wanted to try the new firmware produced by "StevieWonder". I'm still very pleased with my Eee Box but that can be put to more general PC duties and the Linkstation can return to the server and download duties. I expect the box tomorrow and will be swapping the HD for my 500gb notebook drive (which will be silent and lower power consumption). I'll pop it on the Kill-A-Watt and report the change in usage when done. Then the Stevie Wonder firmware plus NZBget.

Oh and I should be re-visiting Amithlon, OSX and Linux on a Quad Boot machine. That will be fun!

14 comments:

Samson said...

Methanoid, suggest you to consider throw away all xfs partitions and get root-fs to use ext3 and data partitions to use jfs, etc because xfs on the arm(el) architecture will only put your data at risk! However, I believe "StevieWonder"'s firmware cannot help for this option...

Methanoid said...

Does Stevie's new FW use XFS then? Box arrived a few mins ago so about to unpack...

Samson said...

Stevie's new FW is basically official Japan version 1.2 release + application add-ons from the LS-CHL so it uses xfs for root-fs and data because this is the official default.

Methanoid said...

Why is XFS a risk?

http://www.debian-administration.org/articles/388

The article abiove suggests its the best FS

Samson said...

XFS performance is the best among other FS, however, ARM architecture i.e. Linkstation Pro/Live + XFS known to have bugs ... I've encountered xfs fs corruption and mounted drive being auto disconnected by just unpacking a not too large .tgz under Stock and also the last vanilla Linux kernel build ... watch this thread for more details: http://forum.buffalo.nas-central.org/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=6706&start=15

Methanoid said...

The phrase "Oh Bollocks" springs to mind. I guess it's back to JTYmod and time for me to contact "Stevie" and ask him to re-do the firmware based on something that works??

Samson said...

JTYmod based on official firmware so I believe it will be the same...

Methanoid said...

You're doing a great job of confusing the whole issue. If jtymod is based on official firmware (LsPro) and has XFS (news to me) then I may as well use Stevie's FW. However, you give the impression that it's not safe. Well the impression you're now giving is that all firmware is unsafe. Perhaps you could clarify. After all I'd rather not be asking Stevie to "fix" something that might not be broken!

Samson said...

Yes, ALL official firmware are NOT SAFE and Buffalo is putting all customers data at risk, amazing isn't it! As of this moment, the XFS bugs in ARM architecture hasn't been fixed yet: http://lkml.org/lkml/2007/8/30/316

Samson said...

Of course Stevie can fix the situation by providing a firmware without using xfs. For example, convert sda2 to ext3 and sda6 to jfs/ext3.

Methanoid said...

Stevie's gone walkabout.. no response!

Samson said...

Maybe "Stevie" is not watching this thread, try post in the original thread may help...

Methanoid said...

Stevie isnt around.... I tried both topics!

info said...

Are their any plans to add NZBGet to "StevieWonder"'s firmware?