Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Somewhat overdue ?




I tried a new server recently, as I really wanted my files on a server with plenty of capacity and able to run web services etc. The HP Proliant Microserver was what I tried. But the AMD 1.3ghz chip was god for power consumption but just too slow for my use. So I'm building an alternative!

I've sourced the following:

  • E5200 (2.5GHz S775 Core2Duo in effect)
  • 4Gb DDR3 (I bought for Microserver)
  • Asus G41 mATX motherboard with USB3 & HDMI (nice, onboard VGA needed to be mATX but can take some cards)
  • Marvell SATA card PCIEx1 (3 SATA RAID and 1 IDE as the mobo only has 4 SATA)
  • Coolermaster RC334 case (full ATX, got one already and its got tons of 3.5 bays plus four 5.25 bays)
  • Powercool 450w 80Plus PSU (cheap but 80+ rated)

Server should run SABnzbd, Sickbeard, Couchpotato & uTorrent for all downloading needs. Also should be fine for webserver needs for my son, running Digiguide & Growl (for notifying other machines). Might even get it running my old /X BBS under emulation or perhaps PCExpress under DOS and a little bit of usenet posting. It will also need to run MySQL for my XBMC shared database.

It won't be Linkstation levels of power consumption but what Linkstation has a 12Tb capacity or more? Plus I intend to automate a few of my mundane PC tasks.

No comments: